I knew that this project might incite some rolling of the eyes, but here it is. I've been wanting to switch to biodegradable laundry soap for some time now. I knew that with Joseph in cloth diapers, we were going through a lot of laundry soap, and that I want to be gentler to the water supply.
A few months back a friend of mine gave me a gallon of biodegradable laundry soap she had bought for $37.00. $37.00! I can't afford that! So off I went, googling away to find the right recipe.
This laundry soap is not only easy-peasy to make, it is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. Compared to the regular price of $3.99 for 32 loads of "toxic" soap , you can make this soap for about $2.03 for 32 loads. About half price! Lower eco-guilt level, priceless.
First, finely grate two cups of good-ol' Fels-Naptha soap ($1.29 for a bar, you'll use about 6/7ths of it). This is the hardest part of this recipe. I think it took me like five minutes.
Next, mix in one cup of Borax ($4.35 for 76 oz. of which you'll use 8).
Finally mix in one cup of washing (not baking!) soda ($3.19 for 55 oz., you'll use 8 oz.),
and shake shake shake. You'll end up with this:
which you need to keep in an air-tight container.
Huzzah! Biodegradable laundry soap for CHEAP! You only need to use two tablespoons per load. I'm trying out my first batch of it now on some poopy diapers. I'll let you know how well it washes!
I've been waiting for the results. You better post them soon!
ReplyDelete