I'm in a painting class right now at BYU (oils on panels). We have a take home assignment to mimic the style of a contemporary artist from a list provided by the teacher. Some on the list included Glenn Brown,
Who seems to like to take pretty standard subjects and twist them - taking classical portraits and turning them blue, or green.And Kristin Baker,
Who uses fun bright colors layered on top of each other, and often paints abstract car racing scenes with lots of geometric shapes and layers (in acrylic, which presents a problem when trying to mimic her style in oils).I decided to work after the style of Jules de Balincourt, mostly because he was the only artist on the list that kind of fit my style, and wasn't creepy, depressing, or impossible. My personal favorites of his:

The first is called "Open for the Season" (that's what it says across the top), and I can't find a title for the second one. I really like the bright colors and lines. Of course, even some of his are too strange for my tastes, but here is a sketch of what I am thinking my painting will look like:
No comments:
Post a Comment