Monday, August 3, 2009

Recipes I've Tried

In the last week, I tried several new recipes. Mom and April requested that I post about them. So, although I didn't take pictures, here are links to the recipes and my reviews:

Asian Orange Chicken - it is phenomenal! I even had to replace the rice vinegar with plain ol' distilled white vinegar, and then the lemon juice with even more vinegar... and it came out FANTASTIC! You should have seen Neal's face when he tried it. Yay! Of course, this is a once-in-a-while recipe. We ate it with Jasmine rice which was a real treat (I had gotten it for cheap with coupons).

Suki's Spinach and Feta Pasta - it was ok. I thought the flavor was perfect, but the spinach got all goopy. Next time I'll make it with the spinach on the side.

Michael's Foccacia Bread - this came out with a gorgeous texture, even though I had to use green onions because I was out of yellow. The only thing I would change about it is the amount of salt on top; it was way too much.

Peach Pound Cake - Oh. My. Heavens!!!! This pound cake is to DIEEEE for. I took a recipe and altered it as follows:

  • 2 cups butter, softened
  • 3 cups white sugar
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3 large fresh peaches, diced
Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time, whipping well after each addition (whip it - whip it good! This is the key to this cake). Stir in vanilla. Sift together dry ingredients and fold them, then the sour cream, into your batter VERY gently. Finally, fold in your diced peaches.

The sour cream makes this cake moist, moist, moist! And the peaches...! This cake is only worth eating while it is still warm from the oven. And it is so sweet and delicate of flavor that frosting would ruin it. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you my little domestic goddess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, I tried this, and I loved it! My roommates were very happy. :) Thanks for sharing! We will definitely use this recipe again. :D

    ReplyDelete