Hey Everyone!
I know no one has blogged in forever, but I will get on that new challenge, I promise. I'm already, I just haven't felt like writing yet. Sorry. BUT, I had to share something amazing I made this weekend.
This last Sunday was Break the Fast in our ward. The theme was "Great Green Gobs of Food" or something like that. We were supposed to incorporate green into a dish we brought. Strangely, our ward has no budget for Break the Fast, so the food is entirely provided by the members of the ward. Our apartment was assigned to bring a main dish because we are friends with someone in charge of the whole thing. So we stewed, and stewed, and couldn't think of anything to make. Finally, the night before we were struck with a moment of genius: homemade pizza. So we went to the store without a list, planning on having delicious items jump out of the aisles into our cart. Claire is a vegetable pizza kinda person, and I am a cheese and meat kind of person. We couldn't agree. And there was the whole issue of green. We could dye the dough, but we would have to knead it, and turn ourselves green in the process. And besides, food coloring is expensive.
So as we lingered in the Produce section, waiting for inspiration to hit, I glanced over, and what did I see? Spinach. That's right, spinach. And I was inspired. Spinach can be very good on pizza. Claire agreed. Then the inspiration all came in a rush. The result: fabulousness.
We went to allrecipes, and found two recipes for dough that sounded good. So we made both, one half wheat (notice the note near the bottom instructing how to make the conversion), and the other entirely white. Both were amazing. (Of course, it could be argued that mom's is better, but the toppings really made these crusts taste good.) One of the recipes mentioned sprinkling corn meal on the pan before baking, which sounded great - you know, to achieve the yummy dustiness on the bottom of real restaurant pizza? It didn't turn out so well (kinda crunchy), but maybe if it were ground better, or maybe if we used Parmesan instead. Just a thought.
Anyway, so the toppings we decided on for the amazingness were Alfredo sauce, Mozzarella, spinach (finally chopped), tomatoes (diced finely), and chicken (cooked in oil, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning). Pop in in the oven, and viola! Heaven on a crust. It was SO GOOD. We decided that we only needed to take two pizzas to Break the Fast after all, and kept one for ourselves at home. We were a tiny bit late, but our pizzas were gone within 30 seconds flat, no joke. I was proud. :)
So, we will be making that kind of pizza again, whatever it was. I think we'll call it 'Pizza Goodness' or something else fitting.
No comments:
Post a Comment