Monday, February 15, 2010

'Barf' for Valentines

As a single person, I didn't expect anything for Valentines day. I have some extremely beautiful roommates, so I knew some flowers would make it to our apartment (which they did, in large form. Four bouquets and one fruit basket now reside on our kitchen table, which Mari now refers to as 'the Garden of Eden') but I knew that none of them would be for me. And they weren't.
However, the day before Valentines, a package came for me in the mail. How very unexpected. It was from a High School friend, Sam, who is now on a mission in Texas. My first thought was, "Oh, dear. I hope he didn't get me something for Valentines. That could be awkward." I had no idea what was in store for me.
I opened the package to find a note. "Happy Valentines Day," it read, "This 'barf' is my first with letters hope you can read it. Thought I would send it while it was still going to be cold. I made it before you told me about your new colors you like to wear. Hope you enjoy it anyway. :) - Elder____." Sam has been practicing his crocheting on his mission, because they have been snowed in for a week or two. For those who are less informed, a 'barf' is a beanie+scarf combination. A-mazing.
I pulled out the recently crocheted 'barf', put it on, and proceeded to laugh until I cried. Let me share the glory with you.This piece clearly reads, 'April'. The other side reads, 'Atkin'. Perfect! :)Thanks to Sam (I think he is entirely serious, by the way) I just had a fabulous Valentines. My roommates assured me that they were all jealous of MY valentine gift. I knew they would be.

1 comment: