While I was visiting Cache Valley Rachel and I went shopping with the intent of finding items for her professional wardrobe. So of course we went to the D.I. (where else?!).
![]() |
| Insert sound of angels singing: "ahhhhhh" |
We had modest success and I promised her a list of items I thought would be good for her student teaching experience. Unfortunately, I lost the list.
![]() | |
| Gratuitous children's book reference. |
Being (1) poor, (2) occasionally bored, and (3) of an obsessive nature, I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to improve my wardrobe without much money, and the most efficient method I've found is a "capsule wardrobe." A capsule wardrobe is comprised of a few items that all go together and thus can be combined in lots of ways to make many, many outfits. I think this is the way to get the most for your money, wherever you shop.
To make a capsule wardrobe, start by thinking of what your uniform for life can or should be, item by item. If I were to describe my daily wear it would always, always start with a nursing-friendly top. Next I would add a pair of jeans or a skirt that is easy to chase down a two-year-old in. Ideally I would have a cardigan to add in case of chilly weather (and because cardigans are adorable). Finally I add a pair of ballet flats that are comfortable and chic.
![]() | |
| Not included. |
Mothering is my job and this is the dress code. (Given, of course, that I have the time to get dressed. But that's another post.)
At the rate at which I get barfed on and do laundry, I need a minimum of 6 shirts to make it between washings. Cardigans don't get soiled that often, so I need fewer. Using that kind of logic, my shopping list looks like this:
- 6 tops
- 3 cardigans or jackets
- 2 pairs pants
- 1 casual skirt
![]() |
| In case you wondered. |
Next think about colors. Pick a neutral to base your wardrobe around - April's favorite neutral is gray, and mine is navy. I imagine Mom picking black and Rachel picking a warm medium brown and Amy picking a deep brown (as she prefers with furniture). Then choose a couple of other colors that go with each other, like lilac and soft yellow or sage and plum. And just make sure that each item you buy fits into the scheme.
![]() |
| This color scheme totally makes me think of Rachel. |
I'm still (very) slowly acquiring my own capsule wardrobe, but having a plan helps me not to waste money on items I can only wear one way.
I hope this is food for thought for y'all. Love you!






No comments:
Post a Comment