Tuesday, July 14, 2009

PMTC Salad, v. 2.0


A couple of years ago Amy and her roommates made what they called "PMTC Salad" (Pretty Much the Coolest Salad) - a mulligan-style collaborative where they threw together whatever they had on hand. If I remember right, they had lettuce, cheese, raisins, and apples, among other things.

Well, I found myself in a situation a couple of weeks ago where I needed to bring a salad to a group dinner and I was low on greens. I had some spinach but no mushrooms and only a few tomatoes. So PMTC salad it would be. Feeling slightly crazy each time I added a new ingredient, I chopped up an apple, tomatoes, green onions, and threw in some sunflower seeds, sugar snap peas, and dill.

It was a hit! Neal and I loved it - get this! - without dressing. The dill and the onion and the sweet apples somehow just made the flavor too good to cover up.

So last night I made it again, mulligan-style, and I threw in the following:

spinach
sliced mushrooms
green onions
sugar snap peas
cherry tomatoes
sliced apples
sliced strawberries
blueberries
dill

It is so good! I owe the addition of an apple to Amy's story. The dill, I thought of because I tried a salad with fresh dill a few weeks ago and oh me oh my, it was amazing.

So there you have it, ladies, my own recipe contribution to our blog and it's healthy! Enjoy!

This blog post also serves as a confessional to the amount of money I spend on produce. Though, we definitely can get certain things for cheaper in the South, like blueberries and sugar snap peas.

1 comment:

  1. This is pretty gormet for my palette! I don't know if I dare try it. It feels like a Relief Society salad :).

    ReplyDelete