Saturday, June 13, 2009

Rachel's Thought

As many of you know I have the tendancy to like to be different from the rest of the sisters sooooo I picked a recent CES fireside talk by David A. Bednar called Things as they Really Are. The topic of this talk comes from Jacob 4:13:

"The spirit speaketh the truth and lieth not. Wherefore It speaketh of things as they really are, and of things as they really will be; wherefore, these things are manifested unto us plainly, for the salvation of our souls."

I loved this talk because people in this day and age really need to hear this. I feel that people in this day and age have a really hard time seeing things as they really are. In the talk he talks about what is called a rendering. A rendering is pretty much like a simulation of what something could be. He says," a simulation or model can lead to spiritual impairment and danger if the fidelity is high and the purposes are bad—such as experimenting with actions contrary to God’s commandments or enticing us to think or do things we would not otherwise think or do “because it is only a game.”
Today I raise an apostolic voice of warning about the potentially stifling, suffocating, suppressing, and constraining impact of some kinds of cyberspace interactions and experiences upon our souls. The concerns I raise are not new; they apply equally to other types of media, such as television, movies, and music. But in a cyber world, these challenges are more pervasive and intense. I plead with you to beware of the sense-dulling and spiritually destructive influence of cyberspace technologies that are used to produce high fidelity and that promote degrading and evil purposes."

I love this because I feel that people in this day and age depend heavily on things that are not getting them anywhere. Things like video gamers and such, I feel that life lived in a constant vertual reality is not reality it is the lack thereof and is a waste of time that could be spent doing something more constructive and maybe even spent to better ourselves.
It talks about how we should be clean in mind and spirit and gives us ways that we can be like "Satan can't get me because I know how keep his temptations from getting to me."
This talk really helped me to know that I can reist temptation by seeing things as they really are.

1 comment: