"Be of good cheer. The future is as bright as your faith."
Thomas S. Monson
This last General Conference was amazing. I really think I can say that it was one of the best General Conferences ever. There was so much said that I needed to hear. My favorite quote (and probably my theme quote of the summer) is from President Thomas S. Monson.
He started out his talk by mentioning all the things that are going wrong in the world. The economy, war, natural disasters, and moral downfalls. Then he gave a talk about focusing on our blessings and how much we have to be happy, even joyful about. I enjoyed his talk, and that quote when he spoke, it didn't really touch me until later.
While I haven't experienced any troubles because of the economy, and I haven't personally felt the impact of war or natural disaster, I have had my own little April-world sized problems to deal with. When I first moved back home from BYU to work, I was seriously depressed. I had no hope for a good summer. All of my best friends were at least a hundred miles away. I had no social life, no school, just work, and nothing to look forward to until the fall. I was a walking pity party. I went to church alone for the first time ever. I had no friends, no roommates, and no family to go with me. I was determined to be a quiet attender of the ward, and just survive until I moved back to Provo.
On my very first Sunday back in the USU 15th ward (my single's ward), the first lesson in my first meeting (Relief Society) was on overcoming trials and tribulations. My first thought was, "Heavenly Father, seriously? Can't I be sad for a little while about this?" The teacher was amazing, and brought up several quotes from our most recent General Conference. One she mentioned was this quote from Thomas S. Monson: "Be of good cheer. The future is as bright as your faith." I liked it, so I wrote it down. Still, it didn't have more than momentary impact. But every day as I went to work, and continued in my boring, unsocial life, this quote kept coming back into my head, even when I wasn't thinking about it. It was like a miniature mom or teacher in the back of my head saying, "Remember. The future is as bright as your faith. Don't you have faith? Why can't you have a bright future?" It seemed like every week at church the lesson was on overcoming depression, overcoming trials, how to deal with change, noticing blessings in your life. Every Sunday I would be like, "Seriously?"
Slowly my attitude changed. I have faith, so I can have a bright future. Why not be of good cheer? This quote really reminded me that I have so much to be grateful for, and so many blessings. I have faith in my Savior, and so the future is bright because of Him. I finally found what I didn't realize I had lost: my hope. I had refound hope for an awesome future, an awesome summer. I had been so turned inward to my pain, that I hadn't looked outward for help. That is why faith is what brings a bright future -- it points you outward to the source of bright futures. I also remembered that not all of my best friends are a hundred miles away. I live with some of them, surprisingly. Willie is there to hang out whenever I need a best friend. I'm sure my family has noticed the change as my cheerfulness has returned. I am of good cheer. Why not have the best summer ever? Why not enjoy every minute of my awesome life? Afterall, the future is just as bright as my faith. So I had better get some pretty bright faith.
April, this was perfect! I loved it!
ReplyDelete